1. In 2015 Astana was designated by the President of Kazakhstan as the location of the Astana International Financial Centre (“AIFC”). He stated the need to establish the AIFC on the base of the Expo-2017 infrastructure and to confer a special status on the AIFC. The AIFC participants, bodies and organisations will enjoy a special tax regime, special migration regime, special currency exchange regulation regime.
2. According to Article 2 of the Constitutional Statute of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On the Astana International Financial Centre” (the “Constitutional Statute”), the purpose of the AIFC is to establish a leading international centre for financial services. The objectives of the AIFC are as follows:
(1) attracting investment into the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan by creating an attractive environment for investment in the financial services sphere;
(2) developing a securities market in the Republic of Kazakhstan and integrating it with international capital markets;
(3) developing insurance markets, banking services, and Islamic financing, in the Republic of Kazakhstan;
(4) developing financial and professional services based on international best practice;
(5) achieving international recognition as a financial centre.
3. The purpose of the TRR Rules is to establish the regulatory framework for Authorised Firms carrying out Takaful Business which involve pooling of the risks faced by its participants in a Shari’ah-compliant manner. These rules are based on:
(1) the standards and guidelines issued by the Islamic Financial Services Board on governance, risk management and solvency of Takaful businesses
(2) the standards and guidelines issued by the Islamic Financial Services Board on Retakaful businesses;
(3) the standards and guidelines issued by the IAIS in regard to governance, risk management and solvency of insurance businesses which also apply to Takaful /Retakaful businesses.